Real estate industry is not expected to continue the decline of the last two years, although the most recent decline in home sales (27% second quarter 2010) may seem to contradict this statement. However, despite present market conditions, home sales will bounce back which in turn will have a positive effect on the values which should help to cure the "underwater" condition many homeowners currently suffer. It has always been a long-held belief on mine that people must live somewhere; In their own homes or rental homes/apartments. The US is a country of immigrants and as such allows anywhere from 700,000 to 900,000 legal immigrants into the country on an annual basis and that is not going to change anytime soon. As the population growth rate continues upward, so too will the need for housing.
Having said that, the business of real estate attorneys will grow in direct proportion to the increased demand for housing. Although real estate attorneys will maintain active and successful practices whether the real estate industry is booming or not, it should be noted that a law office may have to hire additional help during boom real estate markets. Since shelter is one of the prime requirements of man, there would be property buyers and property sellers in any case at all times (and real estate attorneys would always be in demand). There are many different ways in which people utilize the services of real estate attorneys. Let’s take a look at what these different ways are:
1. Property dispute: This is one scenario where real estate attorneys are obviously the most involved. Not only do they try to get these property disputes resolved (by litigation or otherwise) but also help to get rid of the property (in certain cases) by selling it off and using the amount received for settlement.
2. Tenancy disputes: A real estate attorney also helps in resolving the disputes between tenants and landlords.
3. Settlement of property on account of death: Sometimes real estate attorneys also handle the property of the deceased. Here they sell off the property for settling it among the heirs.
4. Divorce settlements: Again real estate attorneys help in the settling of the jointly owned properties and the divorce settlement in general.
5. Don’t want a broker: Some people are just not comfortable with hiring a broker to sell their property, and hence they entrust this with real estate attorneys (some real estate attorneys do take this up).
6. As advisers/consultants: A lot of attorneys also work for real estate investors. In fact, hiring a real estate attorney is a very good option for a real estate investor. A real estate attorney can really make the transactions smooth for the investor. A real estate attorney will not only get it done correctly, but also quickly. And for a real estate investor time is very important since he can spend the time saved due to hiring a real estate attorney, into looking for really good deals.
7. Information provider: Some real estate investors use real estate attorneys as a rich source of information especially for getting the information about the properties that are up on sale due to disputes or settlement procedures. Here the real estate investors try to gain advantage by getting the information earlier than others (and they do sometimes get very good deals in this way).
So whether the real estate business booms or not, real estate attorneys are always going to be in job (booming job).